Sony Xperia U is low end Sony device running on Android V2.3 and from the date of its release it has not been updated and most of the Xperia devices is still running on Android V2.3 but the users want to update Sony Xperia U to Android Kitkat.Sony has no intention of announcing the Android Kitkat update so if you want Kitkat update you can try installing Custom ROM on your device to update it to latest Android version available.
You will be using a CyanogenMod 11 ROM to install Android 4.4 Kitkat on Sony Xperia U.A ROM can be installed on an Android device after rooting it so if you are trying to update Sony Xperia U to Android Kitkat you need to first root Sony Xperia U in order to flash a ROM in the device.CM11 is from some of the most popular Custom ROM and but is not affiliated with Sony and Google in any way as it was developed by third-party developers.
CM11 brings many important features like apps and tweaks to the device.After rooting you can install custom apps,tweaks and you can even customize your device by installing CyanogenMod Themes on Xperia U but after installing CM11 ROM or you can try Go Launcher Ex Themes and you can do a whole lot of new things.After installing CM11 ROM you will be able to update Xperia U To Kitkat though you will not be able to enjoy whole Kitkat experience on your device.It will be coming with its own themes and UI and looks so you will feel it Kitkat.
You can read some of our tutorials on how you can update Galaxy Ace to Kitkat or update N7000 to Kitkat.You can get some rooting and flashing ROM ideas from these tutorials that will help you in updating Sony Xperia U to Android Kitkat.
Safety Measures To Follow Before Proceeding
- Charge your device to a minimum of 70% so that it doesn’t run out of battery in the process.
- Backup all your phone data,contacts,call logs,media files,internet settings so that it doesn’t get wiped in the process.
- Deactivate firewall so that you do not face any problems while downloading CM11 for updating Xperia U.
- You can only update Sony Xperia U to Android Kitkat using this update don’t try it on other devices.
Download Required Files To Update Xperia U to Android 4.4 Kitkat
How To Update Sony Xperia U To Android Kitkat
- Download both the files and then place it on your desktop.
- Now connect Xperia U to Pc and then move them to your SD Card.
- Now disconnect your device and turn it off.
- Now boot your device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up+Power+Home button.
- Now select wipe data and head to advanced> wipe dalvik cache.
- Now return to the recovery main menu to flash the ROM.
- Now select “install zip from SD card”.
- Now select the CM11 ROM and flash it on your ROM.
- Now repeat step 8 again this time selecting and flashing Google Apps.
- Now all has been done so select reboot system now from the recovery menu.
- The boot can take upto 5-15 minutes so have patience for some time.
- Hurray! Your device has been updated to Android 4.4 Kitkat using CM11 ROM.
If you go through all these steps you will be able to update Sony Xperia U to Android Kitkat.Share with us how did this tutorial went for you and if you are having any problems or have any questions related to updating Xperia U to Kitkat feel free to ask in comments.